Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Table Top Adventures

Whoever put Valentine's Day in the middle of February was preverse and twisted. And whoever left me my favorite bar of Green and Black Chocolate just put another nail in my coffin. Because February is when I spend all together too much time napping and sitting on my increasingly bubbly butt.

Anyone else out there feeling me?

If you can't relate to my indulgent ways, I'm providing you with a decadent yet simple recipe for inspiration.  This won't happen often. I'm prone to eating rice and beans. For every meal. For the rest of my life. Unless I have someone to impress. In which case, watch out Martha, I will put your cake-baking, domestic empire to shame!

But before I get to this recipe, I thought I'd tell you about one of my latest adventures. I'm getting ready to do my annual bulk purchase where I buy said rice and beans in 25 pound bags. Dev and I came up with a food challenge that we're beginning on the equinox. We won't be buying any food for three months, eating only what we already have or what we can trade with neighbors.

Anyone want to join us?

(or commit to sneaking me an occasional treat...)

Bananagrams bulk shopping list.

 Making use of soured goats' milk with super simple biscuits. In addition, a pint of our honey was consumed.

Lake City's Backcountry Ski Resort, 10,000 ft




I snapped a cable in my binding. At the top of the mountain. 


I will not play with skunks. I will not play with skunks, I will not play with skunks. I will not play with skunks.

Just joined Instagram.....we finally caved and got internet up at the homestead.


Ginger Chocolate Tart, from the Smitten Kitchen, 
via the ever lovely Ari Brocious

(Photo of tart appeared on February 13th)


Crust:
8 ounces gingersnap cookies (about 32 cookies), coarsely broken
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, melted
Filling:
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips=no chopping)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Candied Ginger and Softly whipped cream, for serving
For crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Finely grind gingersnap cookies in processor (yielding 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cups).   Add melted butter and process until moistened. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.  Place pan on rimmed baking sheet.
For filling:
Combine finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and heavy whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth.   Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk egg yolks, egg, sugar, flour, ground black pepper, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Very gradually whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until smooth and blended. Pour chocolate filling into crust.
Bake chocolate tart until filling puffs slightly at edges and center is softly set, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cool tart in pan 20 minutes. Gently remove tart pan sides and cool tart completely.
Top tart with candied ginger.

Cut tart into thin wedges and serve with softly whipped cream or ice cream.
Do ahead: Chocolate tart can be made 1 day ahead. Cover tart and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.  It is still tasty when colder than room temperature, just a bit firmer. Some people *cough cough* might find they can’t wait for it to cool. Not to worry, it still tastes good.






No comments:

Post a Comment