Monday, January 27, 2014

The Things that Are Pleasing--Smoothies, MLK Weekend, and Dancing till Dawn

The Things that Are Pleasing...

1.  Peach Smoothie: Dev say this morning's batch was the best he's ever made. I helped myself to seconds, even though I'm still shivering from my morning run. This smoothie includes goat milk, frozen peaches or nectarines from last summer, a dash of cinnamon, and raw eggs. Yes, folks, even though your mother warned you about raw eggs each time you snuck a lick from the cake batter bowl, and even though salmonella is a very real thing (ask me about the time I threw my underwear out the window when I lived in Peru), if you know and trust where your eggs come from, it's okay. Really! Not only does it make the smoothie creamy, but I get an extra dose of protein. We're up to our ears in eggs right now, and every now and again fried eggs give me the heebeejeebees.

2. MLK Weekend: For the past five or so years some friends have made a tradition of heading to Lake City for the long weekend. Our friend Kale put a tipi up on his property there at 10,000 feet, and seven adults, along with six or so dogs, would pile in for a weekend of lounging, mountaineering, and skiing. Kale recently built a cabin in place of the tipi, and for the first MLK weekend ever, we were indoors! An alchemy has formed up there over the years. It's a gift to get away from all distractions, to spend a long weekend piled into a cabin with nothing but one another's company, to let loose, and to go to ridiculous lengths for a laugh.

3. Denver Fusion Exchange: For three nights, I felt the pulse and pleasures of city living. I went out for dinner at 10 (my normal bed time). At 1, I put on a dress to go dancing. I danced until 5 or 6 in the morning. I made new friends. The event brought together 600 dancers from all over who are interested in blending different styles of dancing--salsa, tango, ballroom, jazz, lindy, blues, whatever.  At times these events can get kinda weird; there's a cool crowd or an invisible hierarchy with the good dancers at the top and the untouchable, not-so-good-dancers at the bottom. I met some people who operated on that and I felt uninspired. But I also experienced people who love to connect, express, and listen with their bodies and through the music. When that happens you can know someone and play with them wordlessly. In that space, beyond good or bad, I found inspiration. I want my whole life to be that kind of dance.












No comments:

Post a Comment